When you hire Surroundings by Sweetland or its division CemArt®, you are hiring experience, professionalism and depth of creativity that is difficult to find. Every project undertaken has the guidance and support of the other partner. That's two creative minds making sure that your project is unique and well crafted.
Surroundings by Sweetland, LLC was founded in October of 2000. At that time Decorative Painting, Design Consultation, and Remodeling were added to their previous repertoire of Set Design, Scenic Painting, Stage Carpentry, Home Construction and Masonry. In 2004 the division "CemArt®" was added to the business. CemArt® is a Decorative Concrete business that specializes in Concrete Countertops, Pre-Cast Architectural Details, Decorative Overlays, Stained Concrete Floors, & Epoxy Finishes. The ability to add design and creative flare to their Decorative Concrete separates CemArt® from the work of many others.
Surroundings by Sweetland, LLC is Licensed and Insured.
With 30 years experience in design & painting, Cyndee is a Scenic Artist and Set Designer for many theater, film, corporate sales shows, museum exhibits, and events as well as providing Design Consultation and Decorative Painting for Homes and Businesses.
A graduate of the University of Minnesota - Minneapolis/St. Paul she has also studied with French Masters: Pierre Lefumat & Yannick Guegan and NASODA - North American School of Decorative Art, Chicago, IL.
Her professional experience prior to moving to Green Bay includes ten years in Boston as a Charge Scenic Artist for Mystic Scenic Studios and the Huntington Theatre. For nine years in New York (prior to Boston), Cynthia had her own business called Sweetland Designs doing Set Design, Scenic Painting as well as Specialty Painting in homes and businesses. She was the Resident Designer and Manager for the Downstairs Cabaret and the Charge Scenic Artist for GeVa Theatre.
Her Professional Teaching Experience Includes
- 8 years teaching Notre Dame Academy high school students the art of building and painting scenery
- 5 years at National Technical Institute for the Deaf as an Instructor, Charge Scenic Artist, and Designer
- 2 years at Boston University as a Scene Painting Instructor
- 1 year at Emerson College, Boston as a Scene Painting Instructor
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Notre Dame Academy - Scenic Designer
- EWGA (Executive Women's Golf Association) - Social Chair
- YWCA Volunteer & Set Designer for Families of Distinction
- Women in Networking - past Treasurer and past Marketing Chairperson.
- Evergreen Productions - past Board Member.
- Next Door Theatre - Scenic Designer.
Kevin J. Smith
Has over 30 years experience with artistic skills in masonry, stone, carpentry and sculpture and applies them in a variety of applications with his clients. Kevin has crafted a diversity of projects from simple home remodeling to a complex Pegmatite Pocket re-creation for the Harvard University Mineralogical Museum.
His professional experience prior to moving to Green Bay includes ten years in Boston as a Master Carpenter, Sculptor and Forman for Mystic Scenic Studios. Kevin built theatrical scenery and museum exhibits on a national scale. For nine years in New York, prior to Boston, Kevin had his own masonry business specializing in stonework, plaster restoration, concrete, and custom tile.
This unique fusion of skills enables Kevin to create molds and cast materials into any desired form. Current areas of work include concrete countertops, concrete tables, hearths, fireplace facades, and architectural details. Kevin has also developed his own custom "Fractal Pavers" using fractal geometry as the design base.
Stained Concrete floors and Overlays are also a specialty of Kevin's, using only the highest quality materials and workmanship.
Kevin strives towards perfection and attention to detail on every project.
Education & Training
- University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
- University of Minnesota - Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Masters Certificate for Decorative Concrete
Corporate Client List
- ABC TV's Children's After School Specials, NY
- Abrams C-Store
- Adirondack Scenic Studios, NY
- Advantage Chiropractic
- After the Tree
- Alder Design Association
- Alexander's Restaurant
- Archetype Group
- Bayland Buildings
- Ben Mar Nico's Spa & Salon
- Big Apple Circus
- Bornemann Nursing Home
- Boston Ballet
- Boston Children's Museum
- Bristol Valley Playhouse, NY
- Carnegie Hall
- Cohoe's Music Hall, NY
- Corrigan's CBS
- Corse Superbikes
- De Leers Construction
- Designs of the Interior
- Digital Equipment Corporation
- Door County Interiors
- Drury Designs
- EG Hintz & Sons
- Fidelity Investments
- Fort Howard Memorial Park
- Fox Television
- Fred J. Piette Company
- Friese/ Meyer Company
- Grazies, Appleton/ Steven's Point
- Griffen Construction
- Gryboski Builders
- Gunderson Cleaners
- Horseshoe Bay Farms
- Howard Johnsons
- Jack Morton Company
- James Street Inn
- JFK Health WorldJim Kassner Construction
- Jitterbean Coffee House
- Kewaunee County Highway Department
- Kwaterski Construction
- Lakeside Development
- Lotus Development Corporation
- Mi-Mar Builders
- Moda Salon
- Museum of Fine Arts in Boston
- Museum of Science in Boston
- National Aquarium in Baltimore
- Norman Rockwell Museum
- North Coast Productions
- Notre Dame Academy
- Pete Noffke Construction
- Red & White Wine Shop
- Red Creek Night Club, NY
- Republic Chophouse
- Portside Properties
- Selmer Company
- Shane Construction
- Sharrow Ford, NY
- Sheridan Hotels
- Sister Bay Trading Company
- Smet Construction
- Spectrum Office Products, NY
- St. Agnus Church, NY
- Steckling Custom Home Builders
- Steve Kassner Construction
- The Day Spa
- The Shallows
- The Traveling Chef
- Tile & Stone Gallery
- Universal Studios
- University of Michigan Opera, Ann Arbor, MI
- Walt Disney
- West Side Arts Theatre, NY
- Wilco Cabinets
- Winona Foods